Winter in Ötztal:
The snowy white Peak of Tirol
Nature of awesome natural beauty and more than 250 summits higher than three thousand meters. Internationally renowned ski areas with absolute snow reliability. A huge choice of winter activities and pleasant highlights. Tirol's Ötztal Valley is a paradise for mountain fans from around the world when it comes to winter sports from September through May – here they will find everything from A to Z!
Top Entertainment & Recreation
The scenic Ötztal-style villages of Sautens, Haiming-Ochsengarten and Oetz can be found in the lower valley, giving a warm welcome to families. The Ski Region Hochoetz offers made to measure deals for the youngest guests. Memorable and peaceful winter holidays are guaranteed thanks to horse carriage rides, toboggan adventures, snowshoe hikes at torchlight, wildlife ski trails, ski routes for kids in the magic forest and the fairytale gondola in Hochoetz. Be it family holidays or high Alpine peak conquests in the Ötztal, there is an absolute must after an exciting day in the mountains: ultimate rest and relaxation at the Aqua Dome, spa center in Längenfeld, Tirol's first and only thermal spa. The wellness temple in futurist style provides soothing moments and perfect recreation to both body and mind. Enjoy the healing spring water in bubbling outdoor pools, discover the sauna and fitness worlds or treat yourself to culinary delicacies while the kids have fun in the separate children's area. Also at Freizeit Arena Sölden guests can indulge in superb water fun, excellent well-being and relaxation.
Straight Ahead towards the Snow Dorado
As an alternative to pulsating tourism centers, winter guests still can enjoy hidden spots at the rear end of the valley – in the marvelous Mountain Village of Vent a silent place for all those in search of peace and relaxation, far away from busy slopes but close to the region's high Alpine ski mountaineering routes. Among the undisputed backcountry highlights ranks the breathtaking Vent Loop Trail, one of the "hautes routes" for expert ski mountaineers in the Eastern Alps. Nordic skiers have loads of opportunities to explore Ötztal's picture-book landscapes. Classic-style Nordic skiers and skaters can choose from a 185 kilometer network of cross-country skiing tracks. Among the Nordic sport centers and high altitude training spots, Längenfeld is the most renowned one thanks to its wide open basin offering numerous panoramic routes.
In the immediate surroundings you find the quaint little holiday villages of Gries, Umhausen and Niederthai, a paradise for families in search of idyllic days with child-friendly ski lifts, Nordic tracks, toboggan runs and scenic winter walking trails. The entire Ötztal has incredible 185 kilometers of cleared winter walking trails, 40 kilometers of winter running routes, 15 toboggan runs (floodlit in part), 10 ice skating rinks and many frozen waterfalls for ice climbers and activity fans. Guided snowshoe hikes are as well on the program in many holiday villages.
Sölden is the undisputed first address in the Tirolean Ötztal Valley when it comes to fun, action and pleasant holidays for Alpine skiers, cross-country skiers or party people – a real Hot Spot in the Alps. Already in September, the renowned winter resort celebrates the beginning of the ski season on the two linked glacier ski mountains of Rettenbach and Tiefenbach. From November onwards all 33 mountain lifts of the Sölden and Hochsölden ski region are in operation, giving access to 145 varied slope kilometers and the ultimate Snow Park. Additionally, the highlight world-wide can be experienced: the action-packed Adrenalin Cup, a fully digitalized winter contest including 10 exciting disciplines. In this fun-filled challenge for everyone you compete against your friends by collecting a maximum of points, and win great prizes at the end of every winter season.
Sölden's legendary party events include the superb Glacier Opening in mid-October, the spectacular AUDI FIS Alpine Ski World Cup Opening and many other top attractions like the Electric Mountain Festival, Hannibal - The Glacier Spectacle and loads of memorable nightlife and parties.
Scenic Obergurgl-Hochgurgl the valley's second top destination, celebrates the very first "non-glacier" winter season kick-off already in mid-November by opening 110 kilometers of immaculate ski slopes. Breathtaking opening parties and stylish après-ski hours await all snow sport fans who get together in "The Diamond of the Alps". Premium lifestyle, top-class winter sport infrastructures, panoramic gourmet spots, entertaining events and superb nature exploration promise ultimate "Top Quality Skiing".
All Highlights at a glance
- Ötztal. The Peak of Tirol.
- Ötztal. Tirol's longest side valley. 67 km.
- Ötztal. 250 peaks higher than 3000 meters.
- Ötztal. Wildspitze. Tirol's highest mountain. 3774 m.
- Ötztal Alps. The Eastern Alps' biggest glacier-covered area. 35 km².
- Ötzi. "The Iceman", about 5250 years old.
- Ötztal Dialect. World Cultural Heritage since 2010.
- Ötztal. 5 Museums. Thousands of stories.
- Ötztal. 150 shops and locations selling regional and international items.
- Oetz. WIDIVERSUM. Family Adventure Land at 2020 m.
- Oetz. KIDS PARK. Tirol's biggest theme playground. (Free admission)
- Acherkogel. Northernmost peak beyond 3000 meters altitude. 3007 m.
- Umhausen. Stuiben Falls. Tirol's biggest waterfall. Height 159 m. 5 platforms. 1 suspension bridge.
- Längenfeld. "Maurer Rinne" suspension bridge. Length 86 m. Height 70 m.
- Längenfeld. Ötztal Trail of Legends. 3 km theme trail featuring life-size sculptures.
- AQUA DOME. Tirol's one and only thermal spa center. 20,000 m². 13 indoor and outdoor pools.
- Freizeit Arena Sölden. Indoor swimming bath with sauna parlor.
- Ötztal Glacier Road. The Eastern Alps' highest panorama road. 2670 m.
- Obergurgl-Hochgurgl. Europe's highest parish village at 1930 m.
- Obergurgl-Hochgurgl. Top Mountain Motorcycle Museum. Europe's highest motorbike museum. 2175 m.
- Vent. Rofenhöfe Farms. The Eastern Alps' highest mountain farmhouses. 2014 m.
- Oetz. Winter Start Hochoetz.
- Oetz. Mountain New Year's Eve in Hochoetz.
- Oetz. Magic Moon Ski Show in Hochoetz.
- Oetz. Kids Snow Festival.
- Sölden. AUDI FIS ALPINE SKI WORLD CUP.
- Sölden. Electric Mountain Festival. Beats on Snow.
- Sölden. 9 Knights + Queens (Royals).
- Obergurgl-Hochgurgl. Ski Opening.
- Obergurgl-Hochgurgl. OPEN FACES Freeride Contest.
- Obergurgl-Hochgurgl. „The Diamond of the Alps meets Nassau Beach Club Ibiza”.
TOP FACTS Winter 2017/18
- Common Skipass for Sölden + Obergurgl-Hochgurgl
- James Bond Museum at the Gaislachkogl summit
- NEW Restaurant at the Rettenbach glacier
Off the Beaten Slopes
- Ötztal. 310 km of cleared winter walking routes. 62 winter walking trails. 5 guided snowshoe hiking tours.
- Ötztal. Nordic skiing network for all ability levels, 143 km of classic-style and skating tracks. 77 km of classic-style, 66 km of skating routes. 35 Nordic tracks.
- Ötztal. Night Nordic skiing in Umhausen 0.9 km, Niederthai 1.7 km and Längenfeld 3 km.
- Ötztal. Taster biathlon in Niederthai and Gries.
- Ötztal. 14 toboggan runs, 45 km of toboggan tracks. 8 floodlit toboggan runs.
- Ötztal. 29 ice climbing spots for all ability levels.
- Oetz. Approx. 2 km of natural ice skating area on frozen lake Piburger See.
- Ötztal. 11 ice skating rinks incl. ice curling facilities.
- Ötztal. 5 providers of horse carriage rides.
- Ötztal. 240 km of ski touring terrain. 52 ski tour routes. 34 peaks above 3000 m as ski touring destinations.
On the Ötztal Ski Slopes
- Top Ski Areas: Sölden, Obergurgl-Hochgurgl, Hochoetz Ski Region.
- Ötztal. Superb skiing fun from October through May.
- Ötztal. 100 % snow guarantee, top entertainment.
- Ötztal. Over 300 slope kilometers stretching up beyond 3000 meters altitude. More than 70 mountain lifts.
- 16 Ski Schools. Expert instructors on the spot.
- 55 Ski Rental Spots. Huge choice of top brands and the latest ski models of international fame.
- More than 50 ski huts, mountain inns & restaurants.
- 77 mountain lifts.
Ski Slopes in total (kilometers): 355.5 km
- Sölden: 144 km, Vent: 15 km
- Obergurgl-Hochgurgl: 110 km
- Hochoetz-Kühtai Ski Region: 80 km
- Niederthai: 4 km
- Gries: 1 km
Sölden Ski Area
- Absolute Snow Guarantee. Two Glacier Ski Areas, Rettenbach & Tiefenbach Glaciers.
- Sölden. ice Q - Culinary peak at 3048 m.
- Sölden. Adrenalin Cup. The world's unique ski decathlon.
- Sölden. The two most powerful feeder mountain gondolas world-wide. Giggijoch gondola 4500 person/hour. Gaislachkogl gondola 3600 persons/hours.
- Sölden. BIG 3. Three ski mountains easily accessible by state-of-the-art mountain lifts within the ski area. Schwarze Schneide 3340 m. Tiefenbachkogl 3250 m. Gaislachkogl 3048 m.
- Sölden. Official film shooting location of the latest James Bond - Agent 007 movie "Spectre". 15 film shooting days in winter 2014/15.
- Sölden. Giggijoch mountain gondola - New highlight in the 2017 winter. Record capacity of 4500 persons/hour.
- James Bond Museum at the Gaislachkogl summit NEW from Winter 2017/18
Facts & Figures
- About 76% of all ski slopes are covered with top modern snow-making systems.
- 32 mountain lifts.
- 33 ski huts and mountain inns in the ski area.
- AREA 47 Snow Park.
- Fun Slope.
- Sölden. 144 slope kilometers:
- Blue. 70.2 km
- Red. 44.6 km
- Black. 27 km
- Ski Route. 1.9 km
- Night Skiing. 4 km
James Bond Film Shooting in Sölden
- January + February 2015.
- Gaislachkogl middle station: station of triple cable gondola.
- Gaislachkogl peak: ice Q restaurant and mountain summit (3048 m).
- Glacier: road tunnel connecting Rettenbach and Tiefenbach Glaciers and adjacent Glacier Road.
- 600-person film team.
- Director and Oscar winner Sam Mendes.
- Producers Barbara Brokkoli and Michael G. Willson.
- Leading actors: Daniel Craig, Léa Seydoux, Dave Bautista, Ben Wishaw.
- Technical Equipment:
- 80 trucks carrying technical items and other equipment.
- 80 Minivans.
- 50 Pick-ups.
- 45 Range Rovers.
- Two Britten Norman Islander airplanes (landing airstrip in Längenfeld).
- For the trucks, trailers and technical equipment a huge storage area covering thousands of square meters was installed in immediate vicinity to the base station of Gaislachkogl mountain gondola.
Obergurgl-Hochgurgl Ski Area
- Obergurgl-Hochgurgl. Summit meeting at the "Top Mountain Star" (3080 m) offering 360° panorama views.
- Obergurgl-Hochgurgl. "Hohe Mut Alm" at 2670 m overlooking 21 peaks higher than 3000 meters.
- Obergurgl-Hochgurgl. Mountain Navigator App. Interactive holiday information right to your mobile phone.
- Obergurgl-Hochgurgl. Top Mountain Crosspoint. Nestling in the foothills of the Timmelsjoch High Alpine Road at 2175 m altitude, featuring the new Mountain Motorcycle Museum and a top modern restaurant with table service.
Facts & Figures
- About 95% of all ski slopes are covered with top modern snow-making systems.
- 24 mountain lifts.
- 11 ski huts and mountain inns in the ski area.
- quattro Snow Park Obergurgl.
- Audi quattro Fun Slope Obergurgl.
- Fun Slope Hochgurgl.
- Obergurgl-Hochgurgl. 110 slope kilometers:
- Blue. 35 km
- Red. 55 km
- Black. 20 km
- Night skiing. 11 km
Hochoetz Ski Region
- Hochoetz. Double the skiing fun in the Hochoetz-Kühtai Ski Area.
- Hochoetz. Snow Village at 2000 meters.
- Hochoetz. "Zugspitzblick" vantage platform offering views of the Wetterstein Mountains, Lechtal Alps, Inntal Valley.
Facts & Figures
- 100% of all ski slopes equipped with 35 top modern snow guns & other snow-making devices.
- 12 mountain lifts.
- 7 ski huts and mountain inns in the ski area.
- Fun Park.
- Hochoetz-Kühtai. 80 slope kilometers:
- Blue. 12 km
- Red. 21 km
- Black. 3 km
- Ski Route. 3 km